What I’ve done… so far
October 14, 2009
- Visited Padre Pio sanctuary, castle ruins in Olsztyn.
- Visited castle ruins in Czersk, town of Góra Kalwaria.
- Heimtextil trade show.
- Zeil Strasse
- MMK – Museum für Moderne Kunst (Modern Art Museum)
- Visited the graves of my grandparents in Częstochowa.
- Drove to Działoszyn to the graves of my great grandparents.
- Visited the crypts in Jasna Góra.
13. Took a train to Kraków from Łódź to visit my cousin.
- Visited St. Mary’s Basilica, St. Barbara’s Church (Jesuit), All Saints Church/St. Peter and Paul’s Cathedral, St. Giles (Dominican), Basilica of the Holy Trinity and Dominican Monastery, St. Francis of Assisi Basilica (Franciscan), St. Andrew’s Church and Poor Clares’ convent.
- Kopiec Kościuszki (Kościuszko Mound)
- Attended/took part in (as a sponsor) my cousin’s Confirmation.
- Attended a play at the theater in Częstochowa entitled, “Nocną porą.”
10. Took a train back to Łódź.
- First day of class in the Carpet and Gobelin Studio (Pracownia Dywanu i Gobelinu) at the Władysław Strzemiński Academy of Fine Arts (Akademia Sztuk Pięknych w im.Władysława Strzemińskiego, or ASP for short).
- Tour of the city with ERASMUS students.
- Moved into the Student House of the Academy of Fine Arts.
- Took a paper-making class with ERASMUS students.
- Started weaving on the gobelin looms with Pan Zygmunt!
8. Drove to Łódź.
- Settled into my temporary apartment.
- Inauguration of the school year at the Poznański Palace.
- Met my professor, Prof. Jolanta Rudzka-Habisiak, and her assistant, asys. mgr Izabela Walczak, at a series of gallery openings at my host institution, the Władysła
7. Drove back to my family in Józefów.
- Day trip to Łazienki Park in Warszawa, visited the Royal Weaving Workshops.
- w Strzemiński Academy of Fine Arts.
6. Took a train to Bydgoszcz, where I was picked up by my dad’s cousin. Drove around the city, then drove to his wife’s family home in the town of Żnin.
- Day trip to Biskupin.
- Jesień na Pałukach festival in Żnin’s town-square.
5. Took a bus from Warszawa to Poznań with my fellow Fulbrighters for the week-long orientation program.
- Day trips to Dziekanowice, Lednica, Gniezno, and Biskupin.
- Day trips to Kórnik and Rogalin.
4. Took a train back to Warszawa (spent the night in Józefów) for my Fulbright Meeting at the U.S. Embassy the next day.
3. Took a train from Warszawa to Częstochowa to spend another week with my family there. –
- Day trip to Koszęcin.
2. Took the train to Warszawa where I was picked up by my aunt. Drove to the red dot right near Warszawa: Józefów, where my dad’s family lives (about 20 km from central Warszawa).
- Day trip to Łódź to see my school.
- Day trip to Kazimierz Dolny, Nałęczów, and Lublin.
- Day trip to the Royal Palace in Wilanów.
1. Flew into Warszawa (Warsaw), immediately drove to Częstochowa, to spend a week with my mom’s family.
- Trip to Kraków and the Wieliczka Salt Mine.
- Day trip to the castles in Olsztyn, Bobolice, Mirów, Ogrodzieniec, Siewierz.